Thursday, September 4, 2008

Its Finally Time to Race

Good morning everyone. As I sit here typing we are only 48 hours from our first race of the year! We have been dealing with a lot of the ussual injury and heat related problems the last few weeks, but hopefully their frail little legs will start to come around just in time for racing season. I think we are a long way from being fully "prepared", but I am hoping that when we start racing running will take on a new priority for a while.

I actually have a great group of young runners who have a lot of ability. In particular, freshman Kevin Eades has been running amazing. He has been ahead of last years state qualifier Hugh Gill on every run. Although I know we are not going to break any records this season, I think we will do some pretty good things. What is difficult for me is knowing how good we are going to be the next two years and trying to stay focused on the season at hand. As good as we are going to be doesnt help the fact that we are going to get beat up a little bit this season. I guess that is all part of the game though.

What I have noticed about myself over the last few weeks is just how obsessively ultra-competitive I am, and I find myself getting really frustrated with the kids who are not that way, which is the majority of them. I believe a lot of this frustration stems from the fact that I set extremely high goals for myself (something I believe is just innate) and I am willing to do whatever it takes to achieve those goals. So I guess the real problem lies in the fact that we are just to young of a team to have any sort of long-term goals at the moment. If they only knew how far their talent could take them, they would be a lot more motivated to get up every morning and do all the things necessary to get to the top.

My running has been going great. Well, I wouldnt call it great, but relatively speaking it has been going pretty well. I have been riding for about an hour in the morning and then doing the workouts with the team on most days. My plantar is not hurting, but I can feel it is tight when I get up in the mornings. I am planning on making a trip out east to see Dr. Brian Fullem, The Man, and get fitted for a new pair of orthodics if I ever get the chance to get away for a few days. Knock on wood, I will be finishing up a great summer this time next year.

Thats all I got for now. I hope all that are reading are doing well and I will keep you posted on how the meet goes this weekend. Happy running and Go Raiders!

tb

No comments: